Paleo, yo.

Alya would be proud. If you don't know who Ayla is, well let's just say she was a sling shot wielding, lion riding badass non-caveman from caveman times, or better yet read the Clan of the Cave Bear books and you'll get my reference...I digress.

I decided to give the Paleo diet a try - in case you've been living under (or rather in) a rock #cavemanjoke #hahaha, it's commonly known as the caveman diet. The basic premise being that you eat foods similar to what our caveman ancestors ate - unprocessed foods that you could hunt and gather; meat, fruit, vegetables and nuts, and that's pretty much it. Read more about it in these hella cute cartoons.

I haven't really been feeling the best the past few moths, which I mainly put down to the stress of the past year and weight gain since returning to NZ from Japan - due mostly to the dramatic change in types of foods and eating habits.  This coupled with a pretty moderate health scare I had very recently, prompted me to do something about it. It's not like I was that unhealthy to begin with - I ate quite well, although with a few too many extravagances, especially the past few months, and I exercised very regularly - running, body pump and body balance at the gym, but I still didn't feel "well". So, Paleo. When I was still living in Japan, I remember my cousin telling me that her and her boyfriend we doing it, and thinking a) what? that sounds ridiculous and, b) I am intrigued, but it would be almost impossible for me to do here. 

Fast forward to now. I spent a bit of time Googling and looking on Pintrest for inspiration and found a pin for a 30 day paleo challenge by Robin's Sweet Confessions which is what I decided to use as guide. I haven't been following this to the letter, but I have taken up the challenge - 30 days of paleo! 

I'm currently on day 5, and so far so good. The only thing I am finding hard is how labour intensive it is to make something, it's hard to grab something on the go. I'm on holiday at the moment so it's not a big deal, but when work starts I know i'll have to be a lot more on to it with my planning and preparation.

Here's a snippet of what food from the last few days has looked like...



Paleo pancake - mix 1 egg with 1 banana - fry (in coconut oil) like a normal pancake & top with fresh fruit (I used a nectarine), whipped coconut cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Dinner day 3 - salmon fillet pan seared in coconut oil, and roasted cauliflower and pumpkin sprinkled with garlic powder. 

Already up to day 7...YEOW!!

#aylawouldbeproud #killingit #fortheloveofpaleo


Comments

Popular Posts